Monday, July 14, 2008

Testing Zemanta: topic = civil liberties

All right, so I'm now generating a new blog post just in order to test this Zemanta plugin. Since it's late and I want to get some sleep, let me just cut and paste some text I wrote during my civil liberties and privacy research.

Many people may assume that the Constitution ensures us a right to privacy, but in fact, the word “privacy” never appears in our Constitution, and laws about privacy differ from state to state. The concept of privacy is ambiguous, abstract, and difficult to define. Privacy can mean being left alone and not subjected to unwanted intrusions, or it can refer to shielding one’s self and one’s interests from access by other people, corporations, or government. While the Fourth Amendment protects against unlawful search and seizure, this amendment is usually not taken to apply to library records or online data. In the wake of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the USA Patriot Act removed many safeguards against individual privacy, and libraries are finding it more difficult to protect patrons’ privacy and rights. The ALA maintains that libraries are critical for promoting an unrestrained flow of information for all, and that privacy is essential in the “exercise of free speech, free thought, and free association; and, in a library, the subject of users’ interests should not be examined or scrutinized by others” (ALA, 2003).

Radical militant librarianImage by library_mistress via Flickr

Okay, it looks like this has the potential to be really cool -- instant links and tags and images -- but the only problem is that my "Preview" screen no longer works. Eh??? I'm hoping it will work out all right when I post the blog; I guess there's only one way to find out.

Zemanta Pixie

3 comments:

Elizabeth Livingston said...

All right, I'm mostly impressed, but I would have been even more impressed if the links had pointed to sources other than only Wikipedia (e.g. if "U.S. Constitution" pointed to the actual text of the constitution). But maybe that would be too much work even for a bot to figure out. As for the Zemanta ads encasing the blog post, I guess I can't complain; the company is, after all, providing a cool service free of charge. And I assume I can turn off the whole plugin when I don't need it, right?

Jure Cuhalev said...

Hi Elizabeth,

thanks for trying Zemanta out. Right now we really know well how to give links to books to amazon and IMDB movies and such. Constitution is also a good case where we should work. I'll ask our engineers if they can figure out a way to make such links works.

If by Zemanta ads, you mean reblog button at the end of the post, you can turn it off in Preferences. It's there as an easy way for others to reference your post.

If you want to turn off extension, just click on the icon of zemanta in URL bar (or in status bar) and there's a disable button. Zemanta will only activate when you're writing a blog post, so there should be no other affects on your Internet experience.

If you have any other questions, we have great forums at getsatisfaction.com/zemanta or just drop me a mail - jure@zemanta.com.

Jure Cuhalev, Zemanta

Elizabeth Livingston said...

Thanks for the information & the quick response. No complaints other than the minor stuff I mentioned, and I'll keep on playing with the service!