Sunday, September 7, 2008

Archiving an archivist

Just browsing around the 'net, I found this video interview of my good friend's father, Dr. Ed Bridges, the director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Growing up, I always enjoyed hearing Dr. Bridges talk about his work. He was interviewed last year for Alabama Public Television, and I especially enjoyed hearing his insights about his career: the ways documents and objects tell stories, the ways in which selective retention of items may shape a view of history, and how his archives conceal countless hidden treasures of significant historical value.

http://www.aptv.org/VideoRoom/viewprogram.asp?FileID=871

The more I learn about archives, the more intrigued I become by this particular career option.

1 comment:

Carol Johnston said...

Thanks, that was great. I listened to the entire interview w/ Dr. Ed Bridges. I can see why you always enjoyed listening to him. I really liked his comment "History is most important because it serves the future." Thanks for sharing. I love the things you find and link to.
Carol